There is nothing more rewarding than baking your own pizza in a wood-fired oven, especially if you have made your own pizza dough. This simple pizza dough recipe shows you how to make authentic Neapolitan pizza step by step. Those lovely charred ‘tiger’ spots dotted all over a perfectly puffed-up pizza crust are pure food heaven. Simplicity is all about the quality of ingredients, so make sure you use some quality Neapolitan strong flour tipo “00” and fresh yeast.
1kg caputo flour tipo “00”
1.5g fresh yeast
600ml water at room temperature
1. Pour the water into a large bowl and mix the salt until fully dissolved.
2. Gradually mix in about 10% of the flour and start to turn the mix into a batter. This is an important step that will prevent the salt from retarding the activation of the yeast.
3. Add the yeast and mix until fully dissolved.
4. Gradually mix in the remaining flour until you have a pliable, soft dough.
5. On a clean work surface, knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes. The internal temperature of the dough should be between 23-26°C.
6. Place in a floured bowl, cover with a clean damp tea towel and prove for 2 hours.
7. Dust some flour on the dough and cut into six 250g balls by tucking the dough in on itself – each 250g ball should give you a 30cm circular base.
8. Leave the dough balls to rest on a large tray covered with a tea towel, at room temperature between 16-18°C, for 24 hours.
“Our Fuego wood oven has transformed our restaurant! As a piece of kit, it is extremely versatile and controllable, allowing us to roast all of our meats and vegetables in the wood burning oven as well as using it as a charcoal grill during service. The flavour of everything coming out of the Fuego clay pizza oven is incredible due to the amazing smoky, charred tones added to the smell and taste of everything that’s cooked in it. It is not expensive to run as all the kiln-dried wood we use heats the wood fired pizza oven pretty quickly and it retains its temperature really well, only needing to add logs to the fire a few times over the course of service.”
“We wanted a traditional wood oven that ticked lots of boxes, for us it had to be made of brick for the authentic feel, have amazing functionality and great quality. Our Fuego clay pizza oven ticks them all. Our pizza nights are such a fantastic feature for the guests that stay in our holiday cottages and it’s a great way of bringing friends and family together for making those special memories. Highly recommended”
“The traditional methods used within its construction and the unrivalled ability to retain heat have thoroughly impressed us. It has been a welcome addition to our BBQ and live music events. We cannot recommend the Fuego brand enough and it has been extremely popular with our chefs and customers alike.”